Get a Free Assessment/Make an appointment
Singapore Employment Pass (EP)
The Employment Pass (EP) is the main kind of Singapore work visa meant for entrepreneurs, executives and skilled professionals who wish to work in Singapore. The terms Employment Pass is also commonly known as EP, E pass and Employment visa in Singapore are used interchangeably in this page. The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) allows foreign professionals to apply for a Singapore Employment Pass after they have incorporated their Singapore company to enable them to live and work in Singapore. There is no official limit or quota for the Singapore Employment Pass.
We’re number 1
Rikvin has the most number of
online submissions for
Employment Pass applications
since obtaining the EA licence.
You may apply for a Singapore Employment Pass, if:
- You are a foreign entrepreneur, executive or managing director of a Singapore company and wish to relocate to Singapore to manage your company operations;
- You are a locally-incorporated Singapore company and need to hire foreign employees;
- You have an employment offer from a Singapore employer. In this case, your employer will process the EP application on your behalf.
E Pass eligibility requirements
All Employment Passes application are carefully assessed by Ministry of Manpower taking into consideration a number of factors as the applicants qualifications, working experience, job nature, economic contribution, employers track record and quality of the applicant to complement and supplement Singapore local workforce. To be considered for an Employment Pass, you must have a fixed monthly salary of at least S$3000 and possess one or more of the following:
- Generally, a recognized Diploma/Degree qualification
- Professional qualifications (professional or educational)
- Specialist skills
- Relevant Work related experience
In some instances, an applicant who does not possess recognized educational qualifications may not necessarily be rejected for an EP, if there are other compensating positive factors in favour of his application, namely:
- Applicant job profile, salary, citizenship, etc
- Repute of the company, employer’s track record, Company paid up capital, tax contribution, etc
- Strategic and in-demand skills set, Government highlighted key industry for development, etc
Enhanced 2012 Employment Pass Framework
Employment Pass Types
|Pass Type||Eligibility requirements|
EMPLOYMENT PASS APPLICATION PROCEDURE & TIMELINE
Applications for Employment Passes must be submitted to the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) who processes the EP application. Applications may be filed either manually or online via the Internet, however, it is important to understand that different applicants will benefit differently from either of these two options. Depending on the application method you choose, the processing time for an EP application can take as quickly as a one days to as long as 2 months depending on a number of different factors. While the online application process appears quicker and less of a hassle, it however depends on your profile. Being standard and generic, it also does not allow you to attach your supporting documents (if any). Therefore, if you have a profile or background that is not entirely stellar but your supporting documents (eg. testimonials from previous employers, writing samples etc.) highlight your application’s merits, you might benefit from filing a manual application instead. For manual submission of application forms, processing time will be at least five weeks from the date of receipt of the application. It may be slightly longer during peak periods or when the case requires inputs from various economic agencies.
Who should apply for an EP Online:
- Applicants who received their tertiary education and graduated from reputable universities
- Applicants who have amassed significant experience or are a subject matter experts in their fields
- Have attained higher-level certification in their qualifications eg. ACCA, ACIA, CFA, MBA etc.
- Applicants who have had significant working experience
- Applicants who are eminent in their respective industry or vocation and can contribute to Singapore’s international prominence in that industry, especially if that field is highlighted in government economic policy as being a key industry for development
Who should Apply for an EP Manually:
- Young, inexperienced applicants who have had substantial co-curricular/leadership experience
- Nationals of emerging economies with little or unsubstantial university education but with desirable qualities
- Applicants with little to no formal education but have extensive informal vocational experience in key industries, the evidence of which can be furnished in the form of written testimonials, completed projects, portfolios etc.
Need Help for Employment Pass Application?
Call Rikvin today for a consultation on your situation and for a personal assessment of your application chances, as well as how we can assist you with putting forth a stronger case.You can leave your concerns to rest and trust our specialists to provide a thorough assessment of all factors of your application and ensure that it meets the current standards of review. Our reliable guidance and high success rate come with years of experience and continually staying abreast with Singapore’s immigration regulatory updates.
Documents Required – Singapore Employment Pass Application Form
Rikvin requires the following documents for submission of Employment Pass application in Singapore:
- Resume or CV stating your educational and employment history (download Singapore Employment Pass Application form)
- Copies of educational certificates and past employment testimonials
- A copy of the personal particulars page of your passport
* Any documents that are not in English must be translated into English by an official translation service.
EP Submission Timeline
Rikvin submits all Employment Pass (EP) applications electronically to the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) so that you can learn of your application outcome sooner.
- It takes MOM between 1-15 working days to process the application.
- Upon receiving the In-principle Approval notification, we will make arrangements for the collection of your EP.
The application for the employment pass can only be done once the company has been incorporated. It is not necessary to be physically present in Singapore while the application is being processed
Approval and Collection of Employment Pass
Once the application is approved, the Ministry of Manpower will issue an In-Principle Approval (IPA) letter via email. The IPA letter must be produced upon collection of the EP at the Work Pass Division at Ministry of Manpower. An IPA letter is valid for six months from the date of notification of approval. To collect your EP you will be required to present:
- A copy of the IPA letter
- Recently taken passport size photograph
- Original passport with the entry embarkation cards
- Medical exam report* (if the In-Principle Approval states that you require one)
- Any other documents that are requested in the approval letter
* You may get a medical examination done in your own country through an established clinic/hospital or in Singapore. Most clinics in Singapore provide medical examination and report within a day.
Entry Visa into Singapore
If you are overseas and require an entry visa to Singapore, your IPA letter will include a single journey entry visa. Upon your arrival in Singapore, we will make an appointment with Ministry of Manpower on your behalf for finger printing. Upon completing the procedures, your pass will be ready in 4 working days. You may collect the pass at Ministry of Manpower personally or authorize Rikvin to collect it on your behalf.
Validity of Employment Pass upon Approval
The validity of an EP varies and are as follows:
- First-time applicants – up to 2 years
- EP renewals – up to 3 years
Singapore Employment Pass Rejection
In the event that your Employment pass application is rejected by the authority, our specialists will establish a firm appeal in defence of your position. Rikvin will investigate why your application has been rejected. Based on the reasons provided by MOM, we will submit an appeal that will address the issues outlined by MOM and also include additional documents as per their request, if any. Please note that it may take three weeks or more to process an appeal, depending on the complexity of the case. Our fees include one free appeal in the event your initial application is unsuccessful.
Change of Employer
Employment Pass holders must apply for a new pass whenever they change employers. There is no need to cancel the existing pass prior to application for a new pass. Ministry of Manpower evaluates each application for a new pass based the applicant’s qualifications, work experience, and employer credentials. A new pass will be issued once the old pass is cancelled.
Renewal of Employment Pass
The Ministry of Manpower will mail an Employment Pass Renewal Form to your employer’s address two months before your EP expires. You should submit the renewal application at least four weeks priorto the expiration of your EP. Once approved, your employer will receive a letter of notification and the new pass is ready for pick up at the Ministry of Manpower.
Important Note for Renewals of Employment Visa:
1. For existing EP holders whose passes expired on or after 1 January 2012, and are affected by these changes, MOM will grant a one-off renewal of up to 2 years per the earlier framework. 2. Pass holders who have applied/who apply for renewal before/after 1 January 2012 are treated equally and given the same one-off renewal. Subsequent renewal applications will be assessed based on the prevailing work pass criteria.
Singapore Dependent Passes for Family Members
All Employment Pass holders can apply for Dependant Pass and/or Long-Term Visit Pass for their family members. A separate dependent pass application for each family member should be submitted. The application can be submitted together with the Employment Pass application or separately
Dependant Pass Visa
With effect from 1 September 2012, S Pass and Singapore employment pass holders earning at least S$4000 can apply for Dependant Pass for their:
- Unmarried children under 21 years of age
If you are an Employment Pass holder, your spouse is eligible to work in Singapore as a Dependant Pass holder. However, your prospective employer is required to apply for a Letter of Consent (LOC) with Ministry of Manpower in order for you to work. (Note: Not eligible for S Pass holders)
Long-Term Visit Pass
P Pass holders may also apply for Long-Term Visit Pass for their:
- Common law spouse
- Unmarried daughters above 21 years of age
- Handicapped children above 21 years of age
- Step-children under 21 years of age
|EP Type||Eligible for Dependant Pass?||Eligible for Long-Term Visit Pass?|
|Q1||Yes, if they meet the new salary requirements w.e.f. 1 Sep 2012||No|
WORK VISA PROCESSING SERVICES
Rikvin holds the status of a duly licensed employment agency with the Ministry of Manpower (MOM). The license enables Rikvin to facilitate placement of foreign employees for a local employer and represent employers or foreign employees in the official submission of work pass applications. With Rikvin dedicated work visa processing unit, clients need only deal with one party for all expatriate work pass administrative needs. Rikvin handles the paperwork and processes involved in obtaining the relevant visas for expatriate employees.
Options available after obtaining the EP
There are two options available for you after obtaining your Employment Pass. They are as follows:
P1, P2 and Q EP pass holders are eligible to apply for Singapore Permanent Residence through the Professional, Technical & Skilled Workers (PTS) scheme. There is no designated waiting period but one of the documents required for PR application is six months of salary record. Hence, it is advisable for P Pass holders to wait for at least six months prior to application. It is, however, advisable for Q1 pass holders wait for at least two years before applying for permanent residence.
Personalized Employment Pass:
For existing EP holders and overseas professionals that meets certain criteria, Singapore has introduced a new type of EP named Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) that is not tied to any employer. For more details, please refer to Singapore Personalised Employment Pass page.
NEED PROFESSIONAL ASSISTANCE
Should you engage a professional firm to assist you with your Singapore Employment Pass application filing? That depends. If, after reading this guide, you feel that you know what you are doing, you probably could go ahead without such professional assistance. However, if you feel that you could do with having the benefit of perspectives of an experienced professional who deals with such applications day in and out, to review your application and supporting documents pre-application, and/or to recommend structuring your application in a way that boosts your chances of success, you should engage Rikvin for assistance. Call us at +65 63201888 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org