IMMIGRATION EXPERTS SINCE 1998!
Rikvin consultants provide the most extensive set of options for relocating to Singapore, the best advice on the most suitable visa for you.
Note to all job seekers: We are not a recruitment or job placement agency. To find a job in Singapore, please visit the following websites:
What is a Singapore Employment Pass?
The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) also allows entrepreneurs to apply for an EP after they have incorporated a company in Singapore. This visa enables them to relocate to Singapore in order to run company operations.
There is no official quota for the EP.
You may apply for a Singapore Employment Pass if:
- You are an entrepreneur, executive or managing director of a Singapore company and wish to relocate to manage your company operations;
- You are a locally-incorporated Singapore company and need to hire an employee from overseas;
- You have an employment offer from a Singapore employer. In this case, your employer will make the EP application on your behalf.
What do you need to apply for an EP?
All Employment Passes application are carefully assessed by MOM and on a case by case basis. MOM takes into consideration a number of factors such as the applicant’s qualifications, work experience, job scope, economic contribution, employer track record and ability to complement Singapore’s local workforce. To be considered for an Employment Pass, you must meet the minimum monthly salary requirement and possess one or more of the following:
- A recognized Diploma/Degree qualification
- Professional qualifications (professional or educational)
- Specialist skills
- Relevant work experience
In some instances, an applicant who does not possess recognized educational qualifications may not necessarily be rejected for an EP, if there are other compensating positive factors in favour of his/her application, namely:
- Good job profile, salary, work experience;
- Good employer track record, high company paid-up capital and tax contribution;
- Possess strategic and in-demand skills in sunrise industries.
Conversely, having recognised educational qualifications does not guarantee a successful EP application.
Categories of Employment Passes
The table below shows the 3 EP categories and eligibility requirements.
|Pass Type||Eligibility Requirements||Applicable for|
||Senior level managers; Managing Directors; CEOs; CFOs; Specialists (SMEs – Subject Matter Experts)|
||Mid-level Managers or Senior Executives; Skilled Technicians|
||Young graduates from acceptable institutions (At least 5 years of work experience may compensate for lack of recognized qualifications.)|
2014 Employment Pass Update
W.e.f. 1 January 2014, the qualifying salary for the Q1 EP is at least $3,300 for young graduates, while older applicants will have to command a higher salary that is commensurate with the work experience and quality they are expected to bring. Concurrently, educational qualifications requirements will be tightened.
Application Procedure and Timeline
Employment Pass applications must be submitted to the Ministry of Manpower (MOM). Applications may be filed online or manually.
Online applications require the uploading of relevant supporting documents. Approximately 80% of applications via this route are processed within 7 working days.
Manual applications are preferred by applicants whose supporting documents (eg. testimonials from previous employers, writing samples etc.) highlight other merits. The processing time for this route takes at least five weeks from the date of receipt of the application. The duration may lengthen during peak periods or when the case requires further input from various economic agencies.
Who should apply for an EP Online?
- Applicants who received their tertiary education and graduated from reputable universities;
- Applicants who have amassed significant experience or are a subject matter experts in their fields;
- Have attained higher-level certification in their qualifications e.g. ACCA, ACIA, CFA, MBA etc;
- Applicants who have had significant working experience;
- Applicants who are eminent in their respective industry or vocation and can contribute to Singapore’s international prominence in that industry, especially if that field has been highlighted in government policy as being key for economic development.
Who should apply for an EP Manually?
- Young, inexperienced applicants who have had substantial co-curricular/leadership experience;
- Nationals of emerging economies with unsubstantial university education but with desirable qualities;
- Applicants with little to no formal education but have extensive informal vocational experience in key industries, the evidence of which can be furnished in the form of written testimonials, completed projects, portfolios etc.
Need Help for Employment Pass Application?
Rikvin requires the following documents for submission of an Employment Pass application:
- Updated resume or CV stating your educational and employment history (download Singapore Employment Pass Application form)
- Copies of educational certificates and past employment testimonials
- A copy of the personal particulars page of your passport
* Any documents that are not in English must be translated into English by an official translation service.
- It takes MOM between 1-15 working days to process the application.
- Upon receiving the In-principle Approval (IPA) notification, we will make arrangements for the collection of your EP.
Note for entrepreneurs
The EP application can only be done once your company has been incorporated. It is not necessary to be physically present in Singapore while the application is being processed.
Approval and Collection
Once the application is approved, the Ministry of Manpower will issue an In-Principle Approval (IPA) letter via email. The IPA letter must be produced upon collection of the EP at the Work Pass Division at Ministry of Manpower. An IPA letter is valid for six months from the date of notification of approval.
To collect your EP you will be required to present:
- A copy of the IPA letter
- Recent passport sized photograph
- Original passport with the entry embarkation cards
- Medical exam report* (if the In-Principle Approval states that you require one)
- Any other documents that are requested in the approval letter
* You may have a medical examination done in your own country through an established clinic/hospital or in Singapore. Most clinics in Singapore provide medical examination and report within a day.
Entry Visa into Singapore
If you are overseas and require an entry visa to Singapore, your IPA letter will include a single journey entry visa. Upon your arrival in Singapore, we will make an appointment with Ministry of Manpower on your behalf for finger printing. Once the procedures have been completed, your pass will be ready in 4 working days. You may collect the pass at MOM personally or authorize Rikvin to collect it on your behalf.
Validity of an Employment Pass
The validity of an EP varies and are as follows:
- First-time applicants – up to 2 years
- EP renewals – up to 3 years
What happens if your application is rejected?
In the event that your EP application is rejected by the authority, we will investigate why the outcome was so. Based on the reasons provided by MOM, we will then establish a firm appeal in your defence, addressing the issues raised and providing documents per request, if any.
Please note that it may take three weeks or more to process an appeal, depending on the complexity of the case. Our fees include one free appeal in the event that your initial application is unsuccessful.
Change of Employer
EP holders must apply for a new pass whenever they change employers. There is no need to cancel the existing pass prior to application for a new pass. MOM evaluates each application for a new pass based the applicant’s qualifications, work experience and employer credentials. A new pass will be issued once the old pass is cancelled.
When and how to renew an Employment Pass
MOM will mail an EP Renewal Form to your employer’s address two months before your EP expires. You should submit the renewal application at least four weeks prior to the expiration of your EP. Once approved, your employer will receive a letter of notification when the new pass is ready for collection at the Ministry of Manpower.
Important Note for EP Renewals
For existing EP holders whose passes expire:
- Before 1 January 2014: MOM will grant a one-off renewal based on existing criteria.
- Between 1 January – 30 June 2014: Receive a one-off renewal of up to 1 year on the existing criteria.
- After 30 June 2014: Existing EP holders must meet new criteria.
How do EP holders relocate family members?
All EP holders can apply for Dependant’s Pass and/or Long-Term Visit Pass for their immediate family members if they meet certain conditions. A separate Dependant’s Pass application should be made for every family member. The application can be submitted together with the EP application or separately.
S Pass and Singapore EP holders earning at least S$4,000 a month can apply for Dependant Pass for their:
- Unmarried children under 21 years of age
If you are an Employment Pass holder, your spouse may legally work in Singapore when he/she holds a Dependant’s Pass. However, his/her prospective employer is required to apply for a Letter of Consent (LOC) with MOM before he/she commences work. (Note: Not eligible for S Pass holders)
P Pass holders may also apply for Long-Term Visit Pass for their:
- Common law spouse
- Unmarried daughters above 21 years of age
- Handicapped children above 21 years of age
- Step-children under 21 years of age
|EP Type||Eligible for Dependant Pass?||Eligible for Long-Term Visit Pass?|
|Q1||Yes, if they meet salary requirements||No|
Work Visa Processing Services
Rikvin is a licensed employment agency registered with the Ministry of Manpower (MOM). The license enables us to facilitate in the placement of employees for a local employer and represent employers or employees in the official submission of work pass applications.
When you engage us for work visa services, you need only liaise with one specialist. Your specialist will help review your candidacy, act as a liaison with MOM, apply for your work pass, and process renewals as well as appeals and track your application.
Longer term options after obtaining the EP
P1, P2 and Q EP pass holders are eligible to apply for Singapore Permanent Residence through the Professional, Technical & Skilled Workers (PTS) scheme. There is no designated waiting period but one of the documents required for PR application is six months of salary record. Hence, it is advisable for EP holders to wait for at least six months prior to application. It is, however, advisable for Q1 pass holders wait for at least two years before applying for permanent residence.
Personalized Employment Pass:
Eligible EP holders and gold collar professionals may also apply for the Personalised Employment Pass (PEP). The PEP is a special type of Employment Pass issued to top-tier individuals based on their merits. It is independent of any employer; hence its holder can switch employers without affecting the status of the pass. For more details, please refer to our Guide on the Singapore Personalised Employment Pass.
Need Professional Assistance?
- EP Talk Time
- $300per hour
- Face to Face Consultation and Planning
- Single Applicant
- $1,200per application
- Individual Application
- $1,200 + 600main applicant + per dependent
- Group Application