How to Form a Sports Business in Singapore
- Register your business first with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority of Singapore (ACRA). Your business must register as a sole proprietorship, partnership or a private limited company. Rikvin has helped thousands of clients registered their businesses with ACRA. We can provide affordable packages customized to your business needs.
- Secure a premise for your business. The premise has to be zoned for commercial use and approved for recreation use by URA.
Securing a Premise
Once you have secured a space, do make sure that it is current on building codes and fire safety measures. If the existing premise is not set up to accommodate a sports business, you can discuss with your landlord to apply for a Change of Use with the Urban Redevelopment Board. There are stringent guidelines in the design and layout for each sports facility, so it will be worthwhile for you to do the research for the specific sports business you intend to set up to avoid rejection when inspected.
Any major renovation of the premise requires an application for a building work permit through Building and Construction Authority of Singapore (BCA). When the building works are complete, you will also need to obtain from BCA: a Certificate of Statutory Completion and/or a Temporary Occupation Permit before you can occupy the space. All renovation works are to be performed by certified or licensed contractors including architects. A business signage that is to be placed on the building will require an application of an Advertisement License from BCA.
Occupational Safety and Health Division at Ministry of Manpower (MOM) will also have to approve the premise to ensure that it is a safe workplace. You will also need a Fire Safety Certificate (FSC) prior to occupying the building. You can obtain an FSC from Singapore Civil Defense Force through a registered architect or engineer.
Additional Licenses & Permits
Depending on the type of sports business and how you plan to set up the premise, you may or may not need the following licenses and permits:
- Two licenses are required to play recorded, copyrighted music on your sports premise. You will need to apply for a Public Entertainment License from Singapore Police Force (SPF) and a Copyright License from the Composers and Authors Society of Singapore.
- If you plan to have TV, you will need to apply for a Non-residential TV License from Media Development Authority for each TV or broadcast devise on your premise. Playing of music videos requires a license from the Recording Industry Performance Singapore.
- When you plan to organize a sports event such as a marathon or any event that involves the procession of five or more people, you are required to apply for a Police Permit for Assemblies/Processions from the Singapore Police Force.
The premise may or may not include a food service section. If you plan to serve food and beverages, you will need to apply for license/permit to do so. To learn more about setting up a food establishment, please see our article on ] How To Apply for a Restaurant Lic.
Rikvin is Singapore’s leading specialist on company formation in Singapore. We can help you incorporate your company with ACRA in less than 24 hours. Our comprehensive corporate services can provide you with the customized service that includes application for pertinent licenses and permits that you require to set up a sports company. To learn more about our Incorporation Services please go to Singapore Company Incorporation Services.
Ready to start a sports business in Singapore?
Rikvin’s expertise is unrivaled in Singapore. With 20 years of know-how in company incorporation, accounting, tax, payroll and immigration services, you can count on us to be your dedicated one-stop business solution.