What is PDPA in Singapore?
With the implementation of the Singapore Personal Data Protection Act 2012 (“PDPA”), companies should ensure that the following personal data is protected:
- National Residential Identity Card number
- Passport number
- Photograph or video image of an individual
- Mobile telephone number
- Personal email address
- Residential address
Organisations that do not comply with the PDPA in Singapore may be fined up to S$1 million. Once the Personal Data (Amendment ) Bill 2020 is passed, the penalty will increase to 10% of the organisation’s revenue.
Why PDPA is important for businesses
What Rikvin provides to ensure your company is PDPA compliant
|Data Protection Management||
✓ Develop and implement policies and processes to fulfil statutory obligations stipulated by the Act;
✓ Provide consultation service; and recommendations to enhances clients’ compliance with PDPA
✓ Acting and assuming the role of the DPO of the Company.
|Data Breach Management||
✓ Develop and implement data breach management programme; and
✓ Establish processes to respond to data breach and reporting of data breach.
|Training on Data Protection||✓ Conduct trainings, seminars and talks to the Company’s employees on PDPA and their respective responsibilities.|
Why Choose Rikvin
FAQ about Personal Data Protection in Singapore
- The PDPA Act in Singapore was introduced on 2nd July 2014. It is a law governing the collection, use and disclosure by all private entities of personal data.
- The PDPA is important because it protects consumers ’ personal data while acknowledging the need for organizations to “gather, use and report” personal data for legitimate purposes.
- For organisations that do not comply with the PDPA act, they may be fined up to S$1 million. Furthermore, once the Personal Data Security (Amendment ) Bill 2020 is implemented, this penalty is anticipated to increase to 10% of the organisation’s revenue.
- Learning how to implement data protection policies may be very much time-consuming and complex. By appointing an external party to be your company’s data protection officer, you can:
– Focus more time on business growth
– Stay compliant with the PDPA
– Obtain effective data protection management policies
– Gain customer’s confidence in your company
– Add value to your organisation
Let Rikvin manage your company’s data protection needs with ease.
Our team of Data Protection specialists ensure that your company is compliant with the PDPA.