Inside the Content
- What is a Certificate of Incorporation?
- What Information is Contained in the Certificate?
- Why is the Certificate of Incorporation Important?
- Who Issues the Certificate of Incorporation in Singapore?
- Where Can You Obtain a Certificate of Incorporation in Singapore?
- Appoint Us to Help You With the Incorporation Process
What legal document is available in Singapore to certify that your business has been formed?
Under the Companies Act of 1967, businesses in Singapore must produce a notice of incorporation issued by the Registrar under the Act.
It must also show a certificate of confirmation of incorporation as evidence of compliance with the requirements stated.
What is a Certificate of Incorporation?
A Certificate of Incorporation is a legal document issued by the Singapore Registrar of Companies (Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA)) upon registration of a new company.
The certificate states that the company has been formed or incorporated on the date indicated. It also shows that it has fulfilled all regulatory requirements for company formation.
It is proof of the live existence of a company registered in Singapore and is only available for live and not dormant companies.
Lastly, it vouches for its distinct legal identity which is separate from its owners’, and is usually backed by a legal signature from the Registrar.
Note that it is not automatically issued during company formation. Instead, an incorporation e-notification is first given as an email statement.
This Certificate of Incorporation is needed when incorporating a company or a business in Singapore.
What Information is Contained in the Certificate?
The Certificate of Incorporation contains the following information:
- Name of the company
- Registration number/ Unique Entity Number (UEN)
- Date of incorporation
- Nature of the business entity – private limited or public limited etc
- The former names of the company (if applicable and up to 5 recent former names, and does not reflect name changes effected before January 2003)
Why is the Certificate of Incorporation Important?
The Certificate of Incorporation is typically required as proof of existence and nature of the entity when:
- The company is entering into any formal agreements or business contracts
- It is involved in a transaction with overseas governments or agencies of the government
You also need the certificate to perform these business activities:
- Open corporate bank accounts
- Apply for loans and other types of funding for your business
- Show your business’ legal status
- Sell your firm to 3rd parties
Today, most public registers are now electronic and made available online. Therefore, the transacting parties performing due diligence check the status of the entities online in the Registrar’s public register of companies more frequently.
Who Issues the Certificate of Incorporation in Singapore?
In Singapore, the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority is the Registrar of Companies.
It is the sole agency that manages business registration in the country, and it issues an e-notification of incorporation upon successfully completing the incorporation procedure.
The e-notification will be emailed out to the officers of the company and the person in charge of the incorporation filings, and it does not bear any signature.
At times, companies may require signed copies of the Certificate of Incorporation to be submitted to other parties in the course of their business.
In such cases, an electronic Certificate of Incorporation can be purchased for a fee of S$50 via BizFile at any time. It can also be bought multiple times after the incorporation from ACRA, and such certificates are duly electronically signed.
Only position holders (business owners, company officers, authorised representatives, partners in the case of LLPs and LPs) and authorised Corporate Service Providers (CSP) of the entity can log into the BizFile to make such a purchase.
Where Can You Obtain a Certificate of Incorporation in Singapore?
Here are the steps to buy your Certificate of Incorporation:
- Visit ACRA’s BizFile+ portal
- Make payment of S$50
- Download the electronic version of the company incorporation certificate from the link provided in the email under ‘Messages’ in the portal
- Alternatively, you will receive an email with the download link to the certificate within 30 minutes after successful payment
- If you require a hardcopy of the certificate, you can also retrieve it via BizFile. The hardcopy certificate will be available for collection at the ACRA reception on the next working day and within 24 hours after successful payment
- You may also request ACRA to post the certificate to a specified address
Appoint Us to Help You With the Incorporation Process
Rikvin’s seasoned professionals are here to help with your Singapore company incorporation. We support the incorporation of many company types, including those with public and private company requirements.
Discover what we can do for you today!
- A company incorporation certificate is a legal document issued by the registrar of companies (Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) in Singapore) upon registration of a company. The certificate asserts that the company has been formed/ incorporated on the stated date and fulfills all the regulatory requirements for company formation and vouches for its distinct legal identity which is separate from that of its owners.
- The Certificate of Incorporation is typically required when the company is entering into any trading agreements, business contracts, or involved in a transaction with overseas government or agencies of the government, the transacting parties may require the certificate as proof of existence and nature of the entity.
- A Certificate of Incorporation can be obtained via ACRA BizFile+ portal at www.bizfile.gov.sg. Upon successful payment, you may download the certificate from the link provided in the portal.
- Upon successful payment to ACRA, the Certificate of Incorporation will be available for download within the next 15 minutes.
Let us obtain your Certificate of Incorporation for you
Our incorporation professionals are here to help you obtain your certificate of incorporation while staying compliant!
Rikvin’s content team includes in-house and freelance writers across the globe who contribute informative and trending articles to guide aspiring entrepreneurs in taking their business to the next level in Asia.